The YMCA of Cumberland puts Christian principles into practice through programs that build spirit, mind and body for all.
For decades, the YMCA mission has been central and foundational to our work. It continues as our driving force today.
In that Christian principles are caring and inclusive, we respect various expressions of religion. We serve people from all faith traditions and perspectives.
We will also create a welcoming environment for people to feel comfortable to explore spiritual matters and grow in Christian faith if they choose.
Our mission guides us in all we do and compels us to embrace, reflect and celebrate the richness of diversity within each other and our community. We invite, welcome and involve everyone to work side by side with us to further our cause.
The Cumberland YMCA believes all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. Through our Out of School Program which serves more than 200 youth representing all social-economic groups, children are developing values, skills, and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, and educational achievement.
The Cumberland YMCA is a leading voice on health and well-being. With a mission centered on balance, the Y brings families and neighbors closer together, encourages good health, and fosters connections through fitness, sports, fun, and shared interests.
• More than 106 seniors participate weekly in fitness, wellness and aquatic programs
• More than 2,000 children and adults participate in our Indoor Soccer Program
• 55 young people are engaged in the YMCA’s Swim Team Program
Volunteers are paramount to the on-going success of the Cumberland YMCA. Whether developing educational skills or providing housing for families in crisis within the Tri-State Region, the Y’s volunteers are raising $130,000 annually for the continued support of these services to our members and program participants.
• By providing housing for 109 individuals and families, we address the homeless problem in our area
• We provide parenting, life skills and employment training to an average of 10 teen parents per week
• 95% of pregnant or parenting teens complete their high school education through the Gilchrist Center Y
• We awarded more than $110,000 in financial assistance for memberships
The mission of the Cumberland YMCA is to serve human needs through programs and services that promote lifelong personal growth and the balanced development of the spirit mind and body.